17 Fun Facts About Thor: Ragnarok
Back in October, I had the pleasure of attending the Thor: Ragnarok press conference. Thor: Ragnarok is the third film in the Thor film franchise and without question, is easily the best of the three. At the press conference, director Taika Waititi was joined by Kevin Feige as well as several members of the cast to answer various questions about the film. Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Cate Blanchett, Tom Hiddleston, Karl Urban, Jeff Goldblum, Tessa Thompson, and Rachel House were all part of the conversation and had a lot of interesting things to say about the film as well as working with Taika Waititi.
Here are some of the most interesting facts that I learned about Thor: Ragnarok from the cast and crew.
17. Chris Hemsworth mentioned that what made this Thor film so different from the previous two films was Taika Waititi and his vision for the project. Chris stated that this film pretty much “reinvented” the character of Thor as we know him.
16. Cate Blanchett worked with a trainer for 20 minutes each day. She pointed out that while it may not seem like a lot of time, the workout was “intense.”
15. When asked about going from smaller films to this big-budget superhero film, Taika pointed out that he “just focused on what I was used to” which is what’s in front of the camera rather than what’s going on around you on set.
14. Producer Kevin Feige mentioned that he really wanted the film to explore and build on the comedic side of Thor’s personality.
13. When meeting for the first time with Kevin Feige and various other crew members, Taika almost didn’t make it because he lost his passport.
12. Mark Ruffalo would love to do a standalone Hulk movie but Kevin Feige doesn’t have any immediate plans to give the character his own film.
11. Tessa Thompson wasn’t worried about playing the character of Valkyrie. She said all she was really worried about was capturing the “spirit of the character.”
10. Jeff Goldblum’s first connection to getting the role of Grandmaster was meeting with Taika. He said that they had a meeting and instantly “hit it off” before meeting the other “creative leaders” at Marvel Studios.
9. Cate Blanchett said that she didn’t get to fight with Chris Hemsworth enough while filming her scenes with him. Blanchett said, “I kept wanting to do more” and that the experience was “hugely enjoyable.”
8. Chris Hemsworth pointed out that the version of Hulk in Thor: Ragnarok is his favorite because the characters got to share a lot of screentime together and “build this new version of the Hulk.”
7. When asked about a standalone Valkyrie movie everyone including Tessa Thompson seemed to like the idea. She even added to the conversation by stating that she already brought up the idea of an all Marvel superhero film to Kevin Feige.
6. Tom Hiddleston believes that his character Loki is “stuck in his ways.” He pointed out that in this film, Thor, as a character grows and changes, and yet Loki remains the same. Hiddleston believes that is Loki’s own personal “challenge.”
5. When asked about any Easter eggs in Thor: Ragnarok, Kevin Feige mentioned that “there might be some things in the trash piles. The biggest Easter eggs are on the side of the Sakaran Palace where there are previous Grandmaster champions that we see, as one for Hulk is being constructed.” He also pointed out that these Easter eggs may not ever show up in the MCU films but wanted to have some fun by showing them in the film.
4. Karl Urban spoke very highly of the environment that Taika created on set. He mentioned that everyone just had fun and listened to much. Urban said it was nice working on a film where he felt like “everyone had each other’s back.”
3. Taika joked about the various music that was played on set and said that he often played the song “Don’t bite your friends” by Yo Gabba Gabba!
2. Chris Hemsworth pointed out that by Thor losing his hammer early on in the film, it ” shed anything too familiar” with what he had already established with the character. Chris said that he was all about creating the unfamiliar and forced him to do different things with the character.
1. Taika said that what he loved the most about the film and his favorite thing about being a filmmaker is “being on set with people, and laughing, and having a great time, and being creative.”
Thor: Ragnarok is now playing in theaters everywhere