Is it me or is this new trailer for Hotel Artemis completely kick-ass?
First of all, I’m a little surprised I haven’t heard anything about this movie. I do pride myself on knowing, like, everything (okay, that’s impossible), but still, I feel like this should have been on my radar. In looking at whose is distributing (Global Road Entertainment?) it does look like it is an independent film, which, again, surprises me given it’s pedigree and cache. Oh well, glad I know about it now because judging from this trailer, Hotel Artemis looks right up my alley.
The official synopsis: Set in riot-torn, near-future Los Angeles, Hotel Artemis is an original, high-octane action-thriller starring Jodie Foster as The Nurse, who runs a secret, members-only hospital for criminals. When a bank robber (Sterling K. Brown) brings in his badly wounded partner/brother, it is soon discovered the man stole something extra that he wasn’t supposed to – and now the big, bad people want it back. So yeah, it looks like a showdown at the old Hotel Artemis.
Foster and Brown are joined by an all-star cast that includes Sofia Boutella, Jeff Goldblum, Brian Tyree Henry, Jenny Slate, Zachary Quinto, Charlie Day, and Dave Bautista. It’s also written and directed by Drew Pearce, who wrote Iron Man 3.
Here are five things about this trailer that excite me:
1. The premise. The idea that there’s a special, super-secret hospital just for criminals is very intriguing. Reminds me of the John Wick world in which there are special hotels, and other amenities, only for high-level assassins. And also, like John Wick, there are very strict rules to adhere to if you visit the Hotel Artemis – rules that cannot be broken or, I’m assuming, there will be hell to pay.
2. Jodie Foster. Her goofy but matronly portrayal as the Head Nurse of this hotel should be fun to watch, especially when she has to enforce those rules. Then, I imagine, the Nurse isn’t going to be so motherly anymore. Taking Foster out of a comfort zone is bound to be magic onscreen.
3. Sterling K. Brown. This actor is on fire right now after his heart-wrenching turn in the weepy ABC drama This Is Us and for playing prosecutor Christopher Darden in The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story. I mean, Brown has been around for a while and has starred in a few other hit TV shows (like Third Watch and Person of Interest) and movies, but he’s having his moment, and deservedly so. And in Hotel Artemis he gets to play someone of nefarious means who also may get to kick some ass. I truly think most actors love to do action movies because, well, why wouldn’t you?
4. Sofia Boutella. Speaking of kicking ass, here we once again see the lovely Boutella doing what she seems to do best – giving some guys the total beat-down without really breaking a sweat. The actress really is a super hot action star that’s endlessly fun to watch (and we don’t even blame her for last year’s Tom Cruise flop The Mummy).
5. The rest of the cast. Seriously, this is one impressive lineup, and from what’s in the trailer, it looks like many of them get to shine, including Dave Bautista as a Hotel Artemis staff member; Jenny Slate (Jenny Slate?) as another criminal who has been hurt; Charlie Day as a wise-ass knives dealer (who gets under Boutella’s skin); and Jeff Goldblum chewing it up the crime boss “Wolf King” who wants his product back. It’s indeed going to be “a busy night at the Artemis,” as Nurse Foster says.
Watch the whole fun ride above and check out #HOTELARTEMIS in theaters June 8!