SDCC 2018: “Doctor Who” The 13th Doctor and What You Need to Know
At San Diego Comic-Con, getting the chance to sit down with some of the cast and creators of Doctor Who is a real treat, but even more so when you’re getting the chance to see the first female doctor… ever. Present at the press conference were Jodie Whittaker (The Doctor), Mandip Gill (Yasmin), Chris Chibnall (showrunner). Tosin Cole (Ryan) and Matt Strevens (Executive Producer). While the creators and cast of the show are extremely tight-lipped about what we are about to see in the next season, we did learn a bit about what to expect upcoming in the new season of Doctor Who.
1. You don’t need to know the history of doctor who to enjoy the new season. While there will be bits of the old in the new series, there is going to be more new villains, creatures, and places. The theme is “new” for this season.
2. When asked at which moment Jodie felt she was the Doctor, she said “I have an important speech, and it was early on. When we moved on from the first shot and the first take, its tattooed on film forever so I must be The Doctor.”
3. Chris describes the new season as, “I think what I can tell you is it’s hopefully funny, scary, emotional, exciting and full of adventure. Loads of brilliant guest actors. Hope it’s as inclusive main streaming version of doctor who you could make.
4. When talking about adding a woman’s touch to Doctor Who, Jodie says “I have never approached a role thinking ‘how would a woman do this role.’ Essentially my energy and approach is coming from a very instinctive place. The best thing about the doctor is I’m not playing either. I’m an alien.”
5. Regarding The Doctor’s costume, Jodie says, “without giving anything away, the costume kind of felt as if it could come from anywhere rather than something that felt too neat and tailored in that sense. It didn’t feel that you needed to be a certain age, shape or gender to wear.”
6. Diversity is important, even behind the camera. There are males, females, and people of color writing for the show as well as directing. Chris says, “Doctor who should be the most inclusive. Anyone can go anywhere. “
7. Jodie says Doctor Who is ” a show for everyone.” Us three (Tosin, Mandip, and Jodie) sitting here didnt always have people who looked like us tv and I suppose your heros don’t have to check certain boxes. Its 2018 the fact that we are having this conversation. Itll be really exciting when women aren’t treated as a genre.”
8. Who are Mandip and Tosin? Mandip plays a 19-year-old girl who thought she could do more and be more and so she did. She’s completely in awe of the doctor. Tosin says that his character “goes with the flow and enjoys the ride. He’s more boisterous out of the group and challenges the doctor most of the time.”
9. Why now is the time for a woman? Chris says “it was overdue. I can only speak to since I’ve been in the job and I got the make the decision. It felt really simple and obvious. The world was ready.”
10. We can look forward to a Christmas special. They are filming eleven episodes, and there are ten in the regular season.
11. And finally, a reminder from Chris that “the only reason for secrecy is to have everyone come to the show at the same time.”
The new season of Doctor Who is set to premiere in the fall of 2018. We are looking forward to getting to know our new Doctor and her companions.